click to open search panel
Page Menu

Abuse & Emergency Services

This section covers protective services for individuals under and over the age of 60, as well as other state and local resources for emergency management.

Child-at-Risk Hotline

Child-at-Risk Hotline is a program of the Department of Children and Families (DCF), the agency responsible for protecting children from child abuse and neglect. To report abuse or neglect, call the Child-at-Risk Hotline anytime of the day or night at 800-792-5200.

Client Assistance Program

If you have a disability and want to work or want more independence, contact us.  

The Client Assistance Program (CAP) can give you information, referral, and advocacy services if you are a person with a disability having trouble getting vocational rehabilitation and independent living related services.  In Massachusetts, Massachusetts Commission for the Blind and Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission administer vocational rehabilitation services. Independent Living programs are provided through eleven centers across the state. If you are an applicant to, or consumer of these programs, you can contact CAP if you disagree with decisions about your services or have questions about your rights.  CAP is neutral when investigating complaints. 

Disabled Persons Protection Commission (DPPC)

Disabled Persons Protection Commission (DPPC) protects adults with disabilities ages 18-59 from the abusive acts or omissions of their caregivers through investigation, oversight, public awareness and prevention. The agency receives reports, conducts investigations, provides protective services, and provides training and education.

To file a report call DPPC hotline: 800-426-9009 or 888-822-0350 TTY

Health Care Quality and Safety 

Health Care Quality and Safety is an initiative to ensure high quality health care through licensing and monitoring of health care facilities and programs. Health Care Quality and Safety programs are administered by the Department of Public Health. 

Investigation Units

Investigation Units are housed at the Department of Developmental Services, the Department of Mental Health, and Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission to investigate allegations of abuse and neglect and provide services to abused individuals. 

My Ombudsman

My Ombudsman is an independent program for MassHealth members who are enrolled in MassHealth managed and integrated care plans. My Ombudsman can help enrolled members understand the benefits and services offered through their MassHealth health plan; answer member questions or address concerns; help to mediate or otherwise find resolutions for members who are having difficulty accessing their benefits; and help explain member rights, including the right to appeal or file a grievance. Many My Ombudsman staff also have lived experience with disability and personal experience being enrolled in a MassHealth health plan. You can contact My Ombudsman directly via phone at 855.781.9898; Videophone (VP) at 339-224-6831; email at:; or visit their website at for more information at:

Ombudsman Services

Ombudsman Services include investigation and resolution of reports of abuse and neglect and are available to elders living in community residences, assisted living facilities, and long-term care facilities. The Ombudsman Program is administered by the Executive Office of Elder Affairs. 

Elder Protective Services Program (EOEA)

Protective Services Program (EOEA) serves people ages 60 and older and live in the community. The Protective Services Program aims to remedy or alleviate abusive situations and prevent the reoccurrence of abuse. It is administered by the Executive Office of Elder Affairs. It is made up of 19 Protective Service agencies located throughout the Commonwealth. 

Elder abuse includes: physical, sexual, and emotional abuse, caretaker neglect, financial exploitation and self-neglect. Elder Abuse reports can be filed 24 hours a day either online (File a report online with Elder Protective Services.) or by phone at 800-922-2275

Protective Services Program (MRC)

Protective Services Program (MRC) investigates allegations of abuse such as acts of physical, sexual, emotional, verbal abuse and omission by a caregiver of a person with a physical disability age 18-59. Protective Services Program is run by the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission in collaboration with the Disabled Persons Protection Commission. 

To file a report of abuse to a person with a disability, the Disabled Persons Protection Commission Hotline can be contacted anytime at 800-426-9009

Emergency Services

Weather & Disasters

Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA)
American Red Cross
Emergency Preparedness Resources

Housing & Shelters

Executive Office of Housing and Urban Development
Massachusetts Homeless Shelter Directory

Food & Nutrition

Massachusetts Emergency Food Assistance Program (MEFAP)-  A public and private partnership program implemented through over 800 emergency food providers with the mission to ensure that people have access to quality food.  
Project Bread Food Source Hotline- 800-645-8333
Food Banks


Domestic Violence and Abuse
Elder Abuse Hotline (800-922-2275) operates seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
SafeLink -- 1-877-785-2020 (toll-free) TTY -- 1-877-521-2601.
National Domestic Violence Hotline -- 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
National Sexual Assault Hotline -- 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)
Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline (DSS): 24 Hours, 7 Days. 1-800-792-5200
Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (MSPCC): M-F, 9 AM - 5 PM

Suicide Hotlines

Boston Area: Samaritans Statewide Helpline: (877) 870-4673

Fall River Area: 8am - 11pm / 7 days- (508) 999-7267, (508) 673-3777

Cape Cod & the Islands:  24 hours / 7 days- (508) 548-8900, Toll Free - Cape Cod & the Islands1-800-893-9900

Framingham Area: 24 hours / 7 days, (508) 875-4500, (877) 870-HOPE (4673)
Samariteens- 1-800-252-TEEN, 1-800-252-8336, 3pm-9pm Teen to Teen 9pm-3pm Adult to Teen

Haverhill Area:  24 hours / 7 days (978) 521-7777, 1-800-281-3223

Holyoke Area: 24 hours / 7 days (413) 536-2251

Methuen: 24 hours / 7 days (978) 688-6607, (978) 452-6733, (978) 372-7200, (978) 465-6100, 1-888-SOS-TEEN, 1-888-767-8336

Northampton Area: 24 hours / 7 days (413) 586-5555, Toll Free Statewide 1-800-322-0424

Norwood Area:  (781) 769-8674, 1-800-529-5077

Springfield Area:  Serving Hampden, Longmeadow, East Longmeadow, Wilbraham- 24 hours / 7 days, (413) 733-6661

Stoneham Area:  (617) 979-7028

Westfield Area:  Serving Southern Madison County, Agawam, Blandford, Chester, Granville, Huntington, Montgomery, Russell, Springfield, Southwick, Tolland, 24 hours / 7 days ( 413) 568-6386

Parental Stress Hotline: 24 Hours, 7 Days. 1-800-632-8188

National Runaway Switchboard: 24 Hours, 7 Days.- 1-800-621-4000

Poison Control and Prevention Services for Massachusetts:  (800) 682-9211

Veterans Crisis Line1-800-273-8253

EOHHS Website links

Financial Help Resources